A recurring question we get from the feedback form is why clicking on a link in SearchWorks does not automatically open in a new tab or window. Many users are used to links that leave the current website by opening in new windows; but in fact the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines recommend against it.
Based on user feedback and advice from the SearchWorks steering committee, we have prioritized these work efforts:
- Advanced search (here is a preview; work is still in progress)
- Improvements to access/availability information on the item detail page
- "Nearby on shelf" functionality - browsing by call number around a selected item
- Nightly catalog updates (currently the catalog is updated approximately weekly; circulation information is live)
We really appreciate all the "AWESOME!" comments, but it's your requests and critiques that help set our development priorities. These are your (and our) top issues:
- Advanced search. (We are actively working on this, and plan to have it available in a Fall release.)
- View nearby items on shelf. (Actively working on this.)
- Select multiple items to send/cite/print, etc.
- Incremental updates to pick up new materials faster.
- More "cite this" formats.
- Better holdings and availability info for periodicals.
More people are using SearchWorks now, and we're getting some very useful feedback. Thanks, and keep it coming!
- Is there a way to mark and mail/text a series of results? I can see how you can do the whole search or individual records but not a selected number.
- It's important to have the ability to select individual records from a search result and then be able to print, mail, etc. the selected list, not just item by item.
- Texts should include the call number.
- The "cite this" feature is awesome. Having this will make life a lot easier. It definitely deserves a very hearty thank you.
- The browse function is really useful. Congrats on the good job there. Consider offering a text only version and/or a one-line version once the user makes a search, so as to have a quicker grasp of related titles. An advanced search option where one can delimit the search by date, language, etc. would be useful. Also an "exact title" option.
We've had multiple requests for the ability to sort results by publication date! (And we will add it.)
- Great product. Will there be the option to filter or sort results according to publication date?
- Are there plans to be able to sort results by publication year?
- We must have date added to the sorting. Hugely important.
- It would be helpful to sort by date. I'm looking for old travel books on Africa.
- Please enable sort by publish date in the results field.