We're happy to report some progress on searching and display of vernacular (HA & CJK) scripts! SearchWorks now displays vernacular title, author, and publisher information in the search results and record view pages. In the record view, only the fields that display "above the tabs" are currently shown in vernacular - the remaining vernacular fields in the MARC record will be added soon to the Details and Subject tabs. You can search by vernacular scripts in the "everything" search; they have not yet been enabled for the specific field searches.
Several new features have been released to the production instance of SearchWorks today.
- Export to RefWorks: Available from the full record view - you’ll be prompted to login to RefWorks (if you haven’t already), then SearchWorks will pass the complete bibliographic record (MARC) to RefWorks for upload.
Google's new book viewer is now in SearchWorks! You'll see a new tab (labeled "Full Text" or "Preview") in the record view for any books to which Google provides access. Click the tab to view the content. Here are a couple of sample records:
SearchWorks has been updated with the following changes:
- uniform title (240) has been added to records in the results list;
- when a user sorts the results list by title, author, etc. the sorted field is now bolded in each record in the list;
- sorting the results list by title sorts first by uniform title, then by the title proper;
- author links in the bibliographic record now search the author's name and display the results as a standard results list, with facets and sorting options;
New data snapshot from Socrates as of 9/30.
New index has improved punctuation issues in facets, resolved missing titles in title-sorted search results, and added more information to the uniform title displayed in the search results.
Also added fixes for a display problem with the tabs on the individual record page, and incomplete book covers displaying in Internet Explorer.
We've made some major improvements to the system performance in finding the results, loading the facets, and displaying book covers! We'll continue to work on improving the display of location and current status information in the search results.
The Call Number facets now include only Stanford-assigned call numbers. Library of Congress and Dewey numbers have been separated into two lists - let us know what you think about this.
Sort by Title has been added to the sort options on the search results page.
- No export to RefWorks. [resolved]
- Results pages don't display non-Roman characters, except in the Librarian view. [in progress]
- Issues with searching and displaying diacritics. [resolved]
- Search results paging is not working on the Author page. [resolved]
- Punctuation errors in facets and displays.
- Call number access, including a cross-library virtual shelf-browse, the ability to display books close to this one on the shelf, and the ability to sort search results by call number.
- Author search: make it easier to find books by a specific author, as opposed to books about that author; and filter the list in useful ways (e.g.