These instructions explain how to create a Google Custom Search Engine to let users search your group. First, follow the steps under Drupal Setup, then the steps under Google Setup.
- Create a Drupal page to display the results of your custom search engine
- Get the site information you need to enter for your search engine
You might want to name it "Search Results", so the resulting URL will be your group string followed by "search-results", for example:
Use this form to generate the site list strings:
Leave the resulting page open so you can copy information from it.
- Set up your custom search engine.
- Fill in the title and description fields.
- In the section “What do you want to search?” choose the option “Only sites I select”.
- Add the sites to search.
- Check the Terms of Service box and click Next.
- Click Finish when you are through.
- Click the "control panel" link for the search engine you just created.
- Change the "Advertising status" option.
- Test your search engine
- Ask to have your search engine added to the Group search drop-down.
Create a Google account, if you don't already have one, log in, go to the Custom Search Engine page and click on the button that says "Create a Custom Search Engine".
Keep the title simple; for example, make it the same as your Drupal group name.
Copy the site strings you generated earlier, under "Drupal Setup", Step 2, into the field that lists sites to search:
You'll see the Preview page where you can try out your search engine. Note that it may take a minute or so before searching starts to work.
You'll see a page that lists your search engines.
You'll see the Basics section on the Control Panel page, which includes a menu along the left for other sections.
Scroll down and click the option that says you do not want to show ads.
Make sure to click Save Changes to save the new setting.
Click on the “My Search Engines” link in the upper left site of the screen. This will display a list of your search engines.
Click on the main link to your newly created search engine. This will display a generic version of your new search engine where you can test out some searches.
Once you are satisfied that searching works properly, send a request to email@example.com asking to have your search engine included as an option in the drop-down search list for your group.
In the email, include the URL of your search engine. You'll find it in the URL field at the top of your browser. It will look something like:
Also include the URL of the Drupal Search Results page you created (See "Drupal Setup" Step 1).