Founded in 2007 by SUN and Stanford University, and now sponsored by Oracle Corporation, the Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group (PASIG) is open to institutions and commercial organizations interested in working cooperatively to learn and share practical experiences in the following:
- Comparison of high-level OAIS architectures, services-oriented architecture work, and use cases.
- Sharing of best practices and software code.
- Cooperation on standard, open, 'in-a-box' solutions around repository technologies.
- Review of storage architectures and trends and their relation to preservation and archiving architectures and eResearch data set management.
- Discussion of the uses of commercial third party and community-developed solutions.
The organization is focused on sharing open computing solutions and best practices. But while sharing information about the state-of-the-art developments in standards and open source is important, this is not a standards-setting organization. It is a place to share practical experiences, successes, pain points, and potential topics for more collaboration.
News & Upcoming Events
Planning for PASIG's 2010 event is underway. Check the PASIG community site for more information.