There are some substantial enhancements in SearchWorks 1.4:
Browse by Call Number
The small "browse by call number" list on the item detail page has been augmented with a full-page view. Click the "Show full page" link, and you'll be able to browse the virtual shelves across all libraries, in gallery or list view.
New request forms
Paging and recall/hold requests are now possible directly from SearchWorks. Just click the "request" link (or the "Page for delivery" link) in the item list, and the new request form will display.
The most obvious change is the new graphic design: overall, we've made the layout more consistent and flexible, along with some reorganization and new features.
Information on the detail display has been reorganized
- Related e-Resources appear at the top of the left column instead of at the bottom of the item list. (Full-text links still appear at the top of the item list, immediately below the book cover.) Any link the catalogers have designated as not full-text - including Finding Aids - will appear in the Related e-Resources section.
- Subjects have been moved back into the main body of metadata. Usability results showed that, although the subject links were highly visible and frequently used in the upper left corner, they were not always clearly understood as "the subject of this item."
- Some issues with series links have been corrected - specifically, the item number within the series is displayed (but not included in the series search).
Advanced search page
- The facets are on the right, consistent with the general layout.
- You can watch your search being constructed at the top of the page as you enter terms and make selections in the fields below.
New facet popups
When you click the "more" link for a facet, instead of expanding in place to show a fixed number of choices, a popup will display. The list in the popup can be sorted alphabetically or numerically (by the number of records that contain that value), and the complete list of values is available to page through.
Alternate views for search results
In addition to the "normal" view, combining title, description, and covers, there is now a gallery view (showing covers and titles) and a list view (showing titles with no covers). The gallery and list views have "hover" popups that provide more information about the item when your mouse is over the cover or title. The popup includes contents and/or summary, if available, and links to full text, if the item is available online.
A fun way to transfer information about an item to your smartphone: On an item detail page, under "Send to..." select "QR code", then take a photo - no typing required. (You'll need to install a QR code scanner on your iPhone.)