Summary of feedback so far...
Fri, 01/23/2009 - 19:19
We've had multiple requests for the ability to sort results by publication date! (And we will add it.)
- Great product. Will there be the option to filter or sort results according to publication date?
- Are there plans to be able to sort results by publication year?
- We must have date added to the sorting. Hugely important.
- It would be helpful to sort by date. I'm looking for old travel books on Africa.
- Please enable sort by publish date in the results field.
- I would like to sort search results by several other fields including year, location, status, call number and format.
Some recent feedback from a PWR class, summarized by a librarian:
- Unanimous preference for look and feel of Searchworks over Socrates
- Loved the ability to limit search results by facets – especially for Video
- Loved the Cite This feature
- Liked the Text Citation feature
- Like book covers because it helps them find book on shelf
- Like Relevance sorting, want Publication Date sorting
- Liked Preview this feature
- Liked easy link to e-books
And other comments we've received via the Feedback option:
- This is the search engine we wish we had in grad school.
- Could you indicate what "relevance" means in terms of sorting?
- All in all, SearchWorks is a much more sophisticated search and viewer for bibliographic data than the Socrates.
- Would be nice to be able to browse new items added in the last day, last week, last month.
- It is very fast and very nicely organized. I really like the refine panel on the left to further limit searches to specific Topics, Formats, Authors etc. It lets me know all the of possible subtopics in a context specific way which is very helpful to someone searching a corpus in which they are not an expert.
- I would like to save or download multiple selected search results, not just one at a time.
- I would like to be able to output search results in a variety of formats - the email just giving the search URL is not sufficient.
- The Did you mean suggestions seem dumb sometimes...
- Hebrew and Arabic fields in SearchWorks are left-aligned, and the punctuation for these fields it not all handled correctly.
- Searching in vernacular scripts in SearchWorks brings up different results than in Socrates.
- I recommend that you include faculty advisor in author search results for theses and dissertations.
- Will there eventually be a way to request off-campus items?
- Where is the Advanced Search feature? If there isn't one, why not?