ACS Mobile provides readers with a multi-journal, up-to-the-minute live stream of new peer-reviewed research content (Articles ASAP) published across the Society’s preeminent portfolio of scholarly research journals, including the flagship Journal of the American Chemical Society. The application also includes a “Latest News” feed from Chemical and Engineering News — the Society’s industry-leading magazine and preferred source of online news for its more than 161,000 member professionals. ACS Mobile makes a scientist’s daily commute, business travel, or time away from the desk or laboratory a more rewarding and productive experience. By the American Chemical Society.
The Swain Library iPad Pilot Program includes four iPad2s that are loaded with a number of apps relevant to the “Mobile Chemist and Chemical Engineer.” We’re hoping that users at all stages of their careers will find these iPads useful. The iPad2s have 32 GB of storage space and WiFi, and also come with a power cable for charging and a padded case.
If there is a key resource that you think should be added, please let us know. While a couple of online books are loaded on the iPads, we anticipate that users will launch ebook reading apps that can be used with content licensed by the library or with ebooks that are freely available on the internet.
URLs for the Installed Apps list will take you to the iTunes Preview. Instead of viewing descriptions individually, you can browse descriptions in resource guide. The tab labeled “Links” includes websites that are compatible with mobile devices.
All four iPads circulate for one week. If demand is too high, we may change the loan period so that all four iPads circulate for two hours. The library catalog record for Swain’s iPad2s includes circulation status (e.g. available or checked out). Instructions for connecting from off campus > iPhone and iPad
After using an iPad, please fill out a short online survey to provide feedback about this Pilot Program. Thank you!
Support for iPad:
- iPad User Guide (PDF)
- iPad User Guide (Tagged PDF)
- iPad User Guide (HTML)
- iPad Support
- iPad Support Communities
More About iPad2:
Guidelines & Restrictions
- Eligible Users: Swain’s iPad2s can only be checked out by current students, post-docs, and faculty at Stanford. Users from the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Departments have priority over other users because Swain’s iPads have many chemistry and chemical engineering apps loaded on them.
- Loan Periods: The iPads circulate for one week. There are no overnight loans. The iPads are due by 5pm on the due date. If demand is too high, we will change the loan period so that all four iPads circulate for two hours.
- No Holds, Recalls, or Reservations: iPad2s cannot be reserved in advance. They are all first-come, first-served. So that iPads are available to as many users as possible, we want users to wait a month after they have borrowed an iPad before checking one out again.
- Fines and Fees: Stiff fines are charged for overdue iPads. If an iPad is three days overdue, the borrower will be charged the replacement cost of an iPad plus an administrative processing fee.
- Return Procedure: Swain’s iPad2s must be returned directly to a staff member at Swain’s circulation desk. Do not return them to another library or put them in a library drop box.
- Personal data and information: will be permanently erased when iPad image is refreshed. Any apps or content purchased by an individual will also be permanently erased when the image is refreshed.