Accessing Web-Based Resources
Three methods are used to access web-based resources from off-campus.
- SUNet Web Authentication
Go to the SUL Connecting from Off Campus page and following “cookbook” directions for your operating system and web browser, enter this proxy URL (Uniform Resource Locator) address into your browser settings:
When a resource is stored on a secure server, the URL begins with “https” instead of “http.” For resources with “https” URL or internet addresses, a special link is set up for off-campus access using EZ-Proxy.
- Special Password for a Specific Resource
In a few cases, a special password or code supplied by the resource provider is used instead. For example, RefWorks uses a group code that must be entered if you want to use RefWorks from off-campus. Contact Grace Baysinger (firstname.lastname@example.org) for passwords.
Accessing Chemistry Software Programs and Databases on CDSERVER
It is possible to access several chemistry software programs and databases both on and off-campus using a web browser and a Citrix plugin. The Citrix plug-in activates the programs which are stored on a server.
- Software available: ACD Labs Software (HNMR and CNMR Prediction), ChemBioOffice Ultra (only ChemBioDraw, ChemBio3D, ChemBioFinder), and Polymath. For more information about these programs, see Software at Swain Library.
- Databases available: CASSI (Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index); CSD (Cambridge Structural Database) plus Mercury, DASH, Hermes, and SuperStar; NIST Critically Selected Stability Constants for Metal Complexes; and NIST Surface Structure Database.
- First, if you plan to access CDSERVER from off-campus and have not accessed resources from off-campus already, you set up your browser so that you are recognized as part of the Stanford community (i.e. prompted to enter SUNet ID) (see #1 above)
- Next, check settings for pop-ups as you must allow pop-ups to be used. Go to Tools > Pop-up Blocker in the menu bar of IE to check setting.
- Now, go to CDSERVER. In Message Center, there will be a note to download and install a Citrix plug-in.
- Go to CDSERVER. Please follow instructions below.
Login in as “explicit” user and then enter in SUNet ID and password.
Choose Chemistry folder.
Choose the application.
A Citrix plugin is activated. Choose “Full Access”
Click on icon of resource you want to use.
To save files to your computer, navigate to ‘Client C’ Drive (your computer) and then Save file.