As an artist and arts educator Sheila Levrant de Bretteville (b. 1940) holds a pivotal role in the history of feminist art. She founded the Women’s Design Program at the California Institute of the Arts in 1971, co-founded the first independent feminist art school in the United States, the Feminist Studio Workshop in Los Angeles in 1973 (with Judy Chicago and Arlene Raven), and there created the Women’s Graphic Center. In 1980 de Bretteville established the Department of Communication Design at the Otis Art Institute, and in 1990 became the first woman to receive tenure at the Yale University School of Art.
Throughout her career de Bretteville has continually focused on the social implications of design and worked to establish the means by which women artists could collaborate to address and publicize feminist concerns as part of the design process.
Sheila Levrant de Bretteville, Women in Design: The Next Decade, graphic (1975).
Bretteville, Sheila Levrant de. “Some aspects of design from the perspective of a woman designer.” In Looking Closer 3: Classic Writings on Graphic Design, edited by Michael Bierut, et al., 238-245. New York: Allworth Press, 1999. Originally published in Iconographie 6 (1973).
Bretteville, Sheila Levrant de, and John Brumfield. “Sheila Levrant de Bretteville.” Graphis 47, no. 272 (March-April 1991): 30-5.
Bretteville, Sheila Levrant de, and Ellen Lupton. “Sheila Levrant de Bretteville.” Eye 2, no. 8 (1993): 10-16.
Deneve, R. “A Feminist Option.” Print 30, no. 3 (May-June 1976): 54-9, 88-90.