RESEARCH RESTART

The Libraries are resuming limited in-person research activities by appointment only as part of the University's Research Restart Plan.
Learn more about the Libraries' entry requirements and available services.

How I make it work: Kim Kay

May 15, 2020
Kimberly R. Kay
Kim Kay

Kim Kay, Administrative Associate for Technical & Access Services

Where are you sheltering, and how are you?

I am sheltering in my apartment in Campbell. I was part of the first group to work from home, but I only worked one day from home that first week because I was moving apartments.  Everything got moved by the Sunday before SIP. Phew! 

I've been pretty content. I'm an introvert so sheltering in place (SIP) suits me. I've been having a lot of calls (both Zoom and otherwise) with my family and friends. In some ways, I am more in contact with them now than before. We even did a murder mystery party over Zoom!

What has your experience been like working remotely?

I borrowed a laptop from SUL Tech Support. Work has been a pretty seamless transition for me. I've run into a couple of challenges with not having the exact same software as I am used to, but so far, it has been pretty easy to work around. I am lucky that I already had a desk/office space set up and I don't have to share it.

Workspace and cat tower

Have you learned anything new that you might not have while on campus?

I have gotten a lot better at navigating Zoom. My job usually has more to do with scheduling meetings than actually attending them. With the supervisor check-ins and Mike's updates, I've attended way more meetings during SIP than normal.

How have you created comfort where you are SIP?

I bought a cat tower and put it right next to my desk so my cat could be next to me while I work and not feel left out. Also, with all of the hand washing, I've become a big fan of moisturizing hand cream. I'm going through a lot of it!

What do you do to differentiate between “work” time and “home” time?

I shut down the work computer and turn off Slack notifications at 5pm. Lunch time is workout time.

Do you have any recommendations for viewing/listening/reading to enrich the at-home experience?

Books: I've been making good use of the Campbell Library's e-books. I raced through Kevin Kwan's Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. It's completely escapist. Slightly more serious was Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. I also enjoyed Other People's Houses by Abbi Waxman. Netflix: The Repair Shop and Hollywood. Very different, but both fun in their own ways. And if you have Disney+, the Hamilton movie is coming on July 3. 

Entertainment

accessibilityaccessprivsarrow-circle-rightaskus-chataskus-librarianbarsblogsclosecoffeecomputercomputersulcontactsconversationcopierelectricaloutleteventsexternal-linkfacebook-circlegroupstudyhoursindividualinterlibrarynewsnextoffcampusopenlateoutdoorpeoplepolicypreviousprinterprojectsquietreservesscannersearchstudysupportingtabletourstwitter-circleworking