SULAIR Home

The Calligraphy of C.C. Wang and Stone Carvings of Niu Kesi, November 16 - December 15, 2006


To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Meyer Library, the East Asia
Library will hold an exhibition of works of the renowned calligrapher
C.C. Wang and stone carvings of Niu Kesi from November 16 to December
15, 2006.
C.C. Wang (Wang Chi-Ch'ien or Wang Jiqian, 1907-2003), distinguished
artist, collector and connoisseur, was born in Suzhou, Jiangsu
Province, China, and studied traditional Chinese painting under Gu
Linshi (1865-1933) and Wu Hufan (1894-1968) from the 1920s to 1940s.
Living mostly in New York City since 1949, C.C. Wang contributed
greatly to upgrade both of art history value and art market value of
Chinese painting. Some 60 works from his collection are now kept at the
Metropolitan Museum of Art in which a room named "C.C. Wang Family
Gallery" was dedicated to.
Niu Kesi ("Superior to Marx" in Chinese), the style name of Hanli Li,
born 1954 in Qingtian County, Zhejiang Province, China, and studied
stone carving under his father Tingjiao Li (1921-1971) since childhood.
In 1972, he was selected by government to Balin County, Inner Mongolia
to pass on his skill there. In the period of 1984-1994, Niu Kesi
traveled widely across Europe and to Macao. Since 1995, he has
skillfully combined artistic conception with careful, precise carving,
thus making a pioneering contribution to the creation of large scale
stone carving. Niu Kesi was the winner of the 1999 China National
Craftsmanship Award and was honored with the title of "Master of Jade
and Stone Carving" in 2004.


« Back