- Global reports and industry forecasts.
- Global and US reports including demographics; consumer goods and behaviors; technology & media.
- Global reports, including music sales.
- Search for news; legal cases; company information; consumer information.
- “…produces reports exploring the impact of the internet on families, communities, work and home, daily life, education, health care, and civic and political life.”
- Offers trend data, infographics; statistics.
- Occupational employment and wage statistics (including the music field); consumer expenditures; government funding; arts activities/attendance.
- Find current and archived sales charts; news and interviews.
- Full text available (1942- ) from Google Books (also searchable through Billboard’s site)
- Represents the recording industry worldwide; affiliated with the RIAA.
- Offers global sales statistics and market reports.
Articles & books
~ Search for articles ~
ABI/INFORM (some full text)
JSTOR (165 titles in the business section), full text
Google Scholar (book citations, articles, dissertations) (use search box at upper left of this site)
~ Recent books ~
Bordowitz, Hank. Dirty Little Secrets of the Record Business. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 2007.
David, Matthew. Peer to Peer and the Music Industry : the Criminalization of Sharing. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2010.
Entertainment, Media & Advertising Market Research Handbook. Norcross, GA : Richard K. Miller & Associates.(e-book)
Fairchild, Charles. Pop Idols and Pirates : Mechanisms of Consumption and the Global Circulation of Popular Music. Aldershot, Hampshire, England: Ashgate, 2008.
Grierson, Don, and Dan Kimpel. It All Begins with the Music: Developing Successful Artists and Careers for the New Music Business. Boston, MA: Course Technology, 2009 (e-book).
Halloran, Mark E. The Musician's Business and Legal Guide. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2008.
Hutchison, Thomas W, Amy Macy, and Paul Allen. Record Label Marketing. 2nd ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier Focal Press, 2010.
Kloet, Jeroen de. China with a Cut : Globalisation, Urban Youth and Popular Music. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2010.
Knopper, Steve. Appetite for Self-destruction : the Spectacular Crash of the Record Industry In the Digital Age. New York: Soft Skull Press, 2010.
Kot, Greg. Ripped : How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music. 1st Scribner hardcover ed. New York: Scribner, 2009.
NAMM Global Report : Music USA : a Statistical Review of the Music Industry. Carlsbad, CA: NAMM, 2007- (annual).
Park, David J. Conglomerate Rock : the Music Industry's Quest to Divide Music and Conquer Wallets. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2007.
Passman, Donald S. All You Need to Know About the Music Business. 7th ed., hardcover ed. New York: Free Press, 2009.
Recording Industry in Numbers. London: IFPI, 2007-
Rutter, Paul. The Music Industry Handbook. London: Routledge, 2011.
Strasser, Richard. Music Business : the Key Concepts. London: Routledge, 2010.
Turgeon, Richard. Indie Rock 101: Running, Recording, Promoting Your Band. Burlington, MA: Oxford , 2009. (e-book)
Wikström, Patrik. The Music Industry : Music In the Cloud. Cambridge, UK: Polity, 2009.
Browse the shelves in the Music Library, Archive of Recorded Sound, or Green: ML3790
Search in SearchWorks: use the subject term “music trade”
Ask for help: Ray Heigemeir, Public Services Librarian, Music Library