C. Ryan Perkins
Curator for South Asian Studies
Curator for Islamic Studies and the Baha'i Collection
As the Curator for South Asian and Islamic Studies I am responsible for building the library's collection of materials from and about South Asia and the Islamic world in English, European languages, and languages of the Middle East, Central Asia, and South Asia. This involves building and sustaining a network of antiquarian dealers, book vendors, scholars, publishers, and libraries in South Asia, Central Asia, and the Middle East. Apart from responding to faculty teaching needs I work in collaboration with the South Asia Center, the Abbasi Program in Islamic Studies, and their affiliates to provide research assistance to faculty, students, and other library users. I also oversee the Bahai collection.
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania
Association for Asian Studies
South Asia Open Archives
• “From South Asian Print to the Digital Archive: The Quest for Access and Sustainability” Journal of South Asian Studies, Volume 43, Issue 3, May 2020, pp. 554-570.
• “Unpacking the Library” with Andrew Amstutz and David Boyk, South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies, Volume 43, Issue 3, May 2020, pp. 446-454.
• “A Bounty of Gems: Yūsuf u Zulaykhā in Pashto,” in Thibaut d'Hubert and Alexandre Papas (eds.), Jāmī in Regional Contexts: The Reception of ʿAbd al-Raḥmān Jāmī’s Works in the Islamicate World, C. 9th/15th-14th/20th. Handbook of Oriental Studies. Section 1 The Near and Middle East.. Leiden: Brill, 2019.
•“London, Lucknow, and the Global Indian City c. 1857-1920” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, Volume 27, Issue 4, October 2017, pp. 611-626.
• “A New Pablik: Abdul Halim Sharar, Volunteerism and the Anjuman-e Dar us Salam in late nineteenth century India,” Modern Asian Studies, Volume 49, Issue 04, July 2015, pp. 1049-1090. https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/rt695kr8275
• “From the Mehfil to the Printed Word: Public Debate and Discourse in Late Colonial India” in the Indian Economic and Social History Review, January–March 2013 50:47-76.